Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Snare Studies

  1. #1
    Inactive Member davfrancis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In my continuing quest to try and become a terrific snare drummer I always enjoy working out of books like:

    Portraits in Rhythm, Rudimental Swing Solos and John S Pratts Modern Contest Solos.

    I am intending to get some new material to work on and I am considering getting Wilcoxon's All American Drummer.

    I thought I would ask if anyone has any other good stuff to recomend....

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member tombo74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2003
    Posts
    584
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Vic Firth's 3rd book can be quite challenging:
    082580913401 SCMZZZZZZZ

    And this french book from Jacques Delecluse we used in classical percussion. If you're in to develop your orchestral/symphonic/contemporary playing (lots of odds, ppp, rall, cresc, tr~~~~,...)
    25120cr

  3. #3
    Inactive Member davfrancis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cool. Thanks

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I dislike the Cirone book - I find it very unmusical. Great to challenge your reading, but the stuff doesn't sound good once you learn it. Plus, some of the exercises need to be interpreted correctly, which is why he wrote another book explaining Portraits In Rhythm.

    I prefer the Fred Albright book. Similar level, but much more musical. He has cool phrases like the CW stuff. The Wilcoxin are great classic texts, but I like the modern drum corps type stuff too. I just got an exercise book called Slammin' Hybrids, that just has a ton of exercises designed to develop control. Wooten's book, Mazur's two books (very hard to find), Bill Bachman and Jeff Queen's books are all excellent too. Rick Beckham has a solo book that ranges from moderate to impossible (as do Mazur's).

    I collect upper grade Pipe Band scores too, and use them for musicality and phrasing work. Good luck, developing better hands is definitely worth the time.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member davfrancis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am very interested to get into some of the Drum Corps stuff - especially after seeing a sample that was linked to a while back on here which made me realise how far there is to go!

    I may have to check out the Albright book.

    Thanks for your sugestions.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Greaseleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2004
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would recommend Jeff Queen's "The Next Level"...very good snare drum book. Its pretty advanced, but a good place to go after the books you mentioned.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have Jeff Queen's book, and I'm anxiously awaiting the DVD to see some of the techniques in motion. Sometimes it's hard to know heights, force, etc from just the written notation.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Greaseleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2004
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think I'm going to be on that DVD...it should be really helpful. Jeff's got a great way of explaining things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •